PAF99web.jpg (129575 bytes) Scroll down for PEOPLE article  

From the Heart

Hollywood’s stars helm the hoopla at the Pediatric AIDS Foundation carnival

Enchantment was in the air at the 10th annual Pediatric AIDS Foundation carnival, where the sun shone and the guests—among them dozens of children and teenagers who are HIV-positive or have AIDS—were star-kissed. "Oh, I love hugging," gushed Drew Barrymore, who with Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman and other stars came out to play on June 6 at the Brentwood, Calif., estate of media mogul Ken Roberts. "I wish I was an octopus, so could hug 10 people at a time!"

Patricia Arquette—at the Frisbee Toss booth—made every kid a winner. "I want to give all of them prize tickets," she said. "I’m like, ‘It’s okay, you almost did it."’ When they weren’t getting wet—Annie Potts made a splash at the Fish Pond, while Jenny McCarthy dodged squirt-gun-wielding teenage boys at the Rubber Ducky Dash booth—the celebs cheerfully signed autographs and posed for photos. "This is just pure enjoyment" said Los Angeles Laker Kobe Bryant, "hanging around the kids."

Those who knew Elizabeth Glaser, the organization’s cofounder who died of AIDS in 1994, agreed that she would be pleased too. The group has raised some $77 million, including the $1.9 million from this year’s event. "We don’t forget her or her idea or her joy or pain and everything else about her great life," said Kevin Costner. Glaser’s widower, Paul (now married to Tracy Barone and father of 20-month-old Zoe Ann), thanked the stars for their support. "It's such a positive experience, and people feel it," he said.

Seven-time attendee Joey DiPaolo, 19, certainly did. "Each year it just gets better," said Di Paolo, who contracted HIV through a 1984 blood transfusion. "This day lets me know that people are still fighting for this disease. People still care."